So, I was flipping through my little cycle of news websites I go to every few days to keep in touch with the outside world. War this, oil rig that, Stephen Hawking says God doesn't exist (again), yahtee-yahtee-yahtaah (if you don't know where this phrase came from, you're a lost soul). So, I go to the Africa section of CNN, and there's a spot on Ashley Judd and the Congo. Both parts interest me, seeing that Miss Judd is from the South (Kentucky) and gorgeous, and the Congo is extremely close to my current location. I usually don't support celebrity humanitarian efforts, seeing that most of them feel more like charity/PR spots than anything else. But her article was really good, and I found a couple quotes in there that I wanted to pass along.
"Learn the difference between pity and empathy, charity and self-efficacy. Abandon the former, which is patronizing; practice the latter, which builds capacity."
"Rejoice in your opportunity. Practice an attitude of gratitude in everything you do. The world, even in the most desperate places, is full of wonder and miracles."
No comments:
Post a Comment