Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Case of the Mondays

I didn’t really have a case of the Mondays this week. It was actually a pretty good day. Classes went smoothly, made progress in basketball practice, ate some Reese Cups, and had a hot shower. The shower is significant because last week something happened with our upstairs water supply. Either the pump isn’t working or someone has shut a valve off that I can’t find. So, I have been washing my greasy morning hair in our kitchen sink in the mornings. I have taken 5 full body showers in 8 days. This is coming from a guy that likes to shower a minimum of 2 times a day during the summer. Luckily, the weather here is nice enough to where you don’t really sweat a bunch or feel gross at the end of one day. After a couple though your feet start smelling and you don’t feel the cleanest. It has definitely given me a new perspective on the emphasis the Bible puts on washing feet and stuff.

I am trying to punishment strategies in my classes as of late. A new strategy is making the kids do wall-sits. If you don’t know what that is, you basically squat down and lean against the wall and it looks like you are sitting in an imaginary chair. Legs should be at a 90 degree angle. I have been making them do them at the front of the class, but that is causing too much disruption because people are laughing at them. I’m going to move them outside to the wall where I can see them but most of the class cannot. Their first offense is 1 minute, and it escalates by each additional minute with a new infraction. They compound during the week but are erased with each new week. So I’ll give an update after a few weeks win the humor of doing a wall sit wears off and the kids realize they aren’t getting any attention for it and it kills your legs!

No comments:

Post a Comment