I now fully understand all those sermons and youth groups about getting out of your "comfort zone." It changes you. The simple act of reaching your hand out to the Lord and saying, "I trust you," is monumental. More often than not, our lives are in one rut or another. It's bound to happen. We are creatures of scheduling and routine, it's security. But think about that feeling you get when you're about to go on vacation, or when you actually walk out of the office door and know you will be totally free on the beach in just a little while. I get that feeling every day in Rwanda. The ruts I was in have vanished. Not just because I moved physical locations, but because I moved spiritual places as well. Many of life's luxuries (more like distractions, as I have discovered) have been removed while I am here. Make no mistake, it stung for a bit. No flat screen TV? No DVR? No iphone? Whaaa? Spotty internet? I can't drive? No movie theater? The list could go on. What replaced all those things was much better. Time and silence.
I have found that time and silence are two very important ingredients in a healthy life. Physically, emotionally, and spiritually health. I have time to read the Bible much more than I used to. I have time to reflect about things that have happened, things I want to happen. The noise of everything I used to do daily has fallen away, and it has been good to me.
It's sad to say, but I think I've learned more from the Bible in the last 8 months than I have in the last few years. Sure, I have memorized verses, gone to church, and done those things genuinely. However, after making the decision that I wanted a better relationship with the Lord of everything, and loving and finding joy in that, things in the Bible started to mean so much more. I have already gleaned much information from Hebrews, Ecclesiastes, Esther, and Daniel. That's about three more whole books than I read last year. I'm going to do a quick reference to the main verses I like in each book, and hopefully insert verses and explanations in the rest of my blogs.
[12] For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing the soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. [13] Nothing in all creating is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.
You cannot deny this verse is powerful. Not only is it very visual, but sobering as well. I pair this verse with something Mason Lewis relayed to me this summer. "Don't minimize disobedience."
[1] Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Assurance and anticipation are parts of faith that should be celebrated.
The picture to the left is from a link I found on Jacob Slaton's blog awhile back. Jim LePage is the creator of these and has given me permission to use them.
Ecclesiastes is an incredible book, if you read it through the correct lense. To most people, its pretty stinking sad. Solomon was legit in his day. As some might say, totes magotes. He had the world at his fingertips, he knew it, and dominated it. But as he got old and gray, he came to the realization that it didn't mean anything. You come into this world, you live awhile, and then you kick the bucket. That's his synopsis. A lot of people stop there in the interpretation of Ecclesiastes. But if you look at it through a broader lense, you see his real meaning. He is saying that you're only here for a minute in the grand timeline of your existence, so don't worry about it too much. Yes, life is sometimes pretty terrible. Yes, its not fair and you'll be screwed over. Yes, at times you'll be on top of the world. Whatever your circumstances are, enjoy what you do and live life to the fullest. The life we know right now is only one grain of sand on 7-mile beach of the Cayman Islands.
[10] I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor. [11] Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.
It's Solomon summarizing his attempts at finding lifes meaning as "chasing after the wind". Man, how accurate is that? Those feelings of accomplishment, acquiring wealth, etc are temporary. Security and self worth are not found in anything from the earth, whether it be your house, spouse, car, clothes, etc. The side question in my bible asks "Consider where you place your time, energy, and money. Will you look back one day and decide that these, too, were chasing after the wind? ".....crickets.
[11] He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
"Setting eternity in the hearts of men" hit me when I realized what it meant. The fact that we were made to never be completely satisfied with earthly pleasures is so frustrating, but amazing to me. Since we were created in God's image, we have that spiritual thirst, we have eternal value, and nothing but the Lord can ever really give us full, lasting joy. It's a restlessness built into us. Annoying, yes. Empowering, indeed.
[1] Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. Go near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools, who do not know what they do wrong. [2] Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few. [3] As a dream comes when there are many cares, so the speech of a fool when there are many words. [4] When you make a vow to God, do not delay in fulfilling it. He has no pleasure in fools' fulfill your vow. [5] It is better not to vow than to make a vow and not fulfill it. [6] Do not let your mouth lead you into sin. And do not protest to the temple messenger, "My vow was a mistake." Why should God be angry at what you say and destroy the work of your hands? [7] Much dreaming and many words are meaningless. Therefore stand in awe of God.
I'm sure God is a fun King. I'm sure once we get to heaven it'll be like that youth song that sings "where we can play football..and have lots and lots of food." But for now, we are separated from Him. And what a great way to prove that we should stay separated-- to lie and not fulfill promises to the Lord in Heaven. I don't know about anyone else, but disobeying my Dad was pretty much out of the question. He laid down the law and my brothers and I knew the boundaries. And my Pops has got zilch power compared to the Lord. So, making promises to the Lord = ultra-slippery slope. I apply it to all those times I have been in need of something and bargained with Him, or actually promised the Lord I would do something and didn't end up doing it. These verses put how serious your words with God should be (when you are desiring or promising something) into perspective.
[7] Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. [8] Always be clothed in white, and always anoint your head with oil. [9] Enjoy life with your wife, whom you love, all the days of this meaningless life that God has given you under the sun -- all your meaningless days. For this your lot in life and in your toilsome labor under the sun. [10] Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.
I didn't understand this passage the first few times I read it. It was really depressing and counterintuitive to me. I could feel a weird vibe in Solomon's words, but didn't know how to interpret them. But once I read the sidenotes and thought about it more, it did give some optimism to our lives. It's kind of a conclusion of bits of his previous thoughts. Basically, Solomon says enjoy life as God's gift, (verse 7, 8) every day of your life. You don't know what you'll have tomorrow, or if there will be a tomorrow (verse 9). Yes, we live in a sinful world, and its not fair, but keep a solid perspective and serve God with your work and your life (verse 10).
***The whole "white clothes" and "anointing of heads" bit is apparently code for signs of happiness and celebration. Makes a bit more sense when you know what that part means.
[1] Cast your bread upon the waters, for after many days you will find it again. [2] Give portions to seven, yes to eight, for you do not know what disaster may come upon the land. [3] If clouds are full of water, they pour rain upon the earth. Whether a tree falls to the south or to the north, in the place where it falls, there will it lie. [4] Whoever watches the wind will no plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap. [5] As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things. [6] Sow your seed in the morning, and at evening let not your hands be idle, for you do not know which will succeed, whether this or that, or whether both will do equally well.
This half of the 11th chapter is great because it encourages us to accept opportunities and risks. Don't be a wallflower of life, don't be sitting on the sidelines waiting for the perfect situation, or because there's no guarantee you'll succeed. Trust, adventure, and enthusiasm for things in your life will bring joy to the Lord and you closer to Him.
That is enough for now. I will discuss Esther and Daniel in the near future. I'll close this post with a sentence from John Piper's "Desiring God".
"The chief end of man is to glorify God by enjoying him forever"

No comments:
Post a Comment