Friday, August 6, 2010

Jack Johnson in Africa?

So we walked into "Afrika Bite" today for our staff lunch, and whadyaknow, "Bubbly Toes" by Jack Johnson is on the radio. Mickey, a girl from Indiana, and me looked at each other and started laughing. Yesterday we heard Beyonce's "Halo" at that Italian place I was talking about last post. It was odd, but kinda nice in a way. One interesting custom is instead of going to a private restroom to wash your hands before eating, they have a community station that has huge vases of water, a bar of soap, and a towel. I guess so everyone can see if you're clean or not!

My original pink razor is already toast. I think it was on its last leg when it changed owners, and just couldn't handle the transition. So i got a nice little nokia with a flashlight, radio, and speaks the time for me! It was 17,000rfw, which is around $28US.

Here is a picture of my classroom from my desk! ....I just had to leave the room for a bit cuz I had some crazy Afrikan wasp all up in my business.  So yeah this where I'll be teaching my Life and Earth Science classes.

View from my moto-taxi ride
Besides those little snippets, nothing else has really happened today. We went to a different part of town to look for  cheaper phones, so I got to see another district of town. I'll just post some more pictures!
One of main fountains in town

If you have any questions or suggestions on things you want to know/pics you want to see/weird info/etc, let me know! wbuchma@gmail.com or comment on a post

2 comments:

  1. Your posts are great, Wes! We're glad to hear that you're doing well. Can't wait until school starts and we get to hear how the actual teaching is going. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will sent me the link to your blog and I am super excited to have a way to keep up with you. Please post if you have specific prayer requests. SO proud of you!

    ReplyDelete