Monday, August 23, 2010

Traveling around Kigali


I had the opportunity to go on some staff retreats before school started. Our first one was to Juru park on the outskirts of Kigali. We had a nice lunch with beef and fish brochettes, chips (french fries), and cokes. It's a beautiful park with different gazebos (like the one to the right). Faculty, board members, parents, and kids all came out to have some fun in the park. The funniest parts of the day were trying to teach these kids how to play whiffle ball. Most of them have never seen baseball, so the concepts of running the bases and getting people out were a little difficult for some. Proper stance in a batter's box? Hilarious. I learned something that day too. How cricket is played. It looks pretty fun. But, I'm way too proud to be an American to start playing cricket. I think I'll stick to still changing the channel when baseball (or if cricket) is ever on the tube.



**Note: These Juru Park pictures are taken in the height of the dry season, so I'm planning on going back when everything is ultra green.


This place was incredible because it had many types of plants (like the above) that are ridiculous. Look at that thing?! I don't know whether I want to touch it or kill it! After lunch, a small group of us walked around the gardens to check some other plants out. The ones above and below are some of what we found. 
No idea what these are, but click on the pic to get a better look at it


No comments:

Post a Comment